Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What a weekend!

Weekends are really great things, so I am not knocking them. We just had a kind of crazy one.
It started out fairly well, although we knew we had to take the big van into the shop. (I use the term BIG van, because we actually have two minivans. The one I drive is an '04 8-seater Toyota Sienna--hence big. The one Darwin drives is our old '97 Honda Odyssey, a 6-seater. Hence small. ;).)

The big van had been having issues with power being drained from the battery mysteriously. And when I say mysteriously, it is not the kind of mysteriously that has to do with a 2-year-old going out and playing "daddy" in the van when the doors are left unlocked and turning the wheel and bouncing up and down in the drivers seat with glee--and then leaving the lights on. Because yes, that mysteriously happens around here a lot. It has lost a lot of it's mystery, in fact.

No this was the kind of mystery where I go to watch McKay sing at his monthly "Singing Time for Parents" in Harris' class, and I go out to the van and it won't start at all, but it will jump (Luckily Darwin was there too, with the little van! Blessings!) and then as soon as I get home and turn the car off...it won't go again. So, we took it in. And found out they will have the van until Thursday since it is a fuse box that is completely ruined. Darn. But, the timing is good, as we just did a grocery shop and there is money in the bank to fix it. So, again, blessings!

But, yes, we are a little trapped for now, since we can't all fit in the little van. We go out in shifts. ;)

It was also the day to do all of the cleaning of the corners of the room, particularly around the computers. So much junk accumulates around the computers. Oy. Anyway, I was vacuuming with the hose along the side of the computer when I heard the saddest, most pained cry. Ella had crawled up alongside the vacuum behind me and stuck her hand under the still-revolving bristles. Those harsh, fast-spinning bristles just ripped most of the skin right off of the top her little fingers. (I am including a picture...which is mostly scabbed over, but still SO sad...and it is at the end, so be warned.)

We called a wonderful nurse-neighbor over and he checked her out. We cleaned her up and have her slathered with polysporin. We've been swabbing her with iodine and more polysporin every few hours, so it looks good on the infection front. We were keeping it covered with a (new, clean!) sock over her hand, but her fresh baby skin was healing so fast over the areas that it caught some of the skin and I had to dislodge it...so I am keeping it very clean and moist and open. Still, I am wondering if I should ask for a plastic surgeon consult, since I am a bit worried about scarring. Mostly about tight scars forming on an area that needs to bend and move so much. (I hate going to the doctor during sick-season unless I KNOW there is something that can be gained from it. Especially with Ella, since she seems to pick up all the little things and then get ear infections.)

So that was our craaaaazy weekend.

Oh and to Jenny, in the midst of all of this, during the downtimes, I have been watching training videos for my new toy...Photoshop CS4. So that has been a big, but interesting, time suck. So less blogging and honestly *sigh* less laundry and less dishes and less cooking. Oops. ;) Oh! And I was at church, but we had to rush back home before it started, since we *gasp* forgot the Aquadoodles. (Best church toy ever. We are actually quiet all meeting long now!)
Warning for those of queasy stomachs. Ella's poor finger picture coming. (It isn't gory or bloody, it just looks very painful.)


14 comments:

Melanie said...

oh my goodness! That looks so painful. I hope she feels better soon.

Kim said...

Oh my gosh! Poor baby. I hope they heal soon.

Fancypants said...

Give her loves from me. I love the Aquadoodle too......for me...not for the baby. :-)

Cynthia said...

Poor Ella! It reminds me of what my hand looked like after my hand got on the iron. I hope it isn't too painful for her.

Adrian said...

Ouch...poor girl. That looks painful! I want to hear how you like CS4...I want to upgrade when my savings acct. gets a bit bigger. AQUADOODLES...I think I need to run out and buy these!

Markell said...

OUCH!!!! I hope she gets better soon. Thank goodness children usually heal so much faster than adults!

Kathryn said...

OH! OH! OH! That looks like it HURTS! Poor little punkin.

(And Russell is still waiting for his "Help!" phone call... You must be MUCH smarter than you originally thought! wink!!)

cathy said...

OUCH! She's a resilient little critter, though, and I'm sure that she'll be back to her normal self soon!

Linda said...

She may have some scarring, but from what I can see, it looks like it is on top of the fingers and not where there will be any webbing or restriction of movement. It just looks really painful, and reminds me of when Cynthia got her fingers burned on the iron. She will probably heal quite quickly.

Rachel said...

Mom--That makes me feel a LOT better. I also had called the pediatrician and explained it and they felt it would be ok. Possibly scarring, but not compromising mobility. Whew.

Kathryn and Adrian--

I really like CS4, so far. There are some really great improvements for sure. Mind you, it is an upgrade from PS7/Elements 5 for me, so it is HUGE. It also feels like someone came in and cleaned up my desk while I was away. So, for the moment I am disoriented and things are taking a lot longer, but in the long run, I think things will be much quicker and more streamlined.

But hey, if Russell has some tips he wants to pass along...I'm all ears!

But my favorite?

Lightroom. Hands down. Most of my pictures are done just going through that. (It kind of combines Bridge and Camera Raw, as well has having features of it's own.)

Alison said...

poor Ella!

Anonymous said...

Dang...poor thing!! She will heal just fine. I have proof. When Harrison was 11 months old, he crawled out onto the metal base of our front door (which sits in the sun all day) and ended up with second degree burns on his palms. I cried and cried (guilt) and then took him to the Pediatrician...where we peeled the burned skin away and lathered silvadine over it. Had to go back for the next 3 days to redebried it, and then continued daily dsng changes for another week. After that we left it open...and I was AMAZED how fast he healed. Took nearly 6 months for the pigmentation to return to normal, but he has absolutely NO SCARRING. None.

If my child can live through that, Ella will be just fine. Your nurse friend (besides me) did a great job. :)

Trimble said...

Wow, I'm just now getting time to read this due to my new job...So sorry about Ella. :( Hmmm, now that you mention it, I haven't been hearing your cheering section in Sacrament Meeting. I miss it. :) Yea for your new toy!

Sarah said...

Oy!! That looks horrible. I hope she is feeling better.