Friday, May 8, 2009

Ear Tubes: A picture essay ;)

Ella got her tubes on Thursday and she did really well. She already seems more responsive to sounds and is more eagerly mimicking more words. She also has MUCH better balance and has started to walk! Just in the last day. So I think ear tubes were a good way to go for her.

But I was so nervous on the actual day. I knew it was a simple thing, but it still seemed a little scary. So I brought my camera along and we documented the whole day. Getting ready to go. Ella had an ear infection, so you can see her pulling her ear as we put her in the carseat to go. Yes, she is still rear-facing.

Ella waits patiently in the waiting room, after we got signed in.

And then she decides...eh, enough sitting.

We're called back and she changes into a little t-shirt they gave her for the surgery.

She's starting to get a little sleepy and she plays with her hair. She is also hungry, since she has not eaten since 5 am.
Darwin walks her around as we wait.

All the stuff we brought (minus the camera...which I was using...)

More waiting. More walking.



And the anesthesiologist comes in and talks with us for a bit and then takes Ella. She snuggled right up to him. He was quite taken with her sweetness.

And there they go...
And we wait.
But within 15 minutes, they come and tell us to come wait in the recovery room. She's not awake yet, but she should be soon and they will bring her right to us.

She wakes up and immediately tries to remove the cotton.

Darwin holds her right after she's eaten a little and we wait for the nurse to come clean out her ears and give us instructions so that we can start home.

She puts saline in Ella's ears.

And then wicks them out. Ella is not pleased.

But we got to leave and pick up her prescriptions and get some lunch and then drive to the doctor's office to have her ears checked. On the way...Ella fell asleep.


So the final check was very peaceful and she slept through it.

It was a very easy day and everyone was wonderful. Mostly a lot of waiting. Ella is doing super already. I'm glad we went with this route. My only regret is that I didn't get more vocal earlier and have this done months ago.

16 comments:

Ahnah said...

Yay for Ella!! I love all the pictures. My favorite one is of her hugging the anesthesiologist! What a total sweety. I am so happy Ella is doing better.

cathy said...

What a beautiful and poignant photo essay! I think that my two favorites are Ella sitting in the waiting chair and in the anesthesiologist's arms. Nice work, Rachel!

Kim said...

I just love the picture of Ella hugging the anesthesiologist. I bet he wanted to take her home. I'd wondered if her ears were affecting her balance and learning to walk. I'm glad she's doing better already.

Trimble said...

Such good news. I'm glad it all went well and what a fun way to document it all. :) You make anything beautiful in your pictures.

Barbara said...

This is wonderful Rachel, love the story and you captured the day. Beatiful conversion.

Gutz Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gutz Photography said...

Beautiful images! You did such a great job in telling your story, I have tears in my eyes. Your an inspiration!

Barbra said...

Rachel,
I am happy for your little girl.
Your photography is getting so good. I love it. What are you doing different?
Have a great day!

Cynthia said...

So glad the surgery went well and hopefully Ella's ear infections are behind her! I love the picture journaling.

Kathryn said...

What a wonderful way to remember (and get thru) a trying day. Sweet Ella! I LOVE the photo of her on Darwin's shoulders, from behind. That's so Darwin...walking & walking & walking.

You have a such a gift. What a lucky family you have! :)

BIG hugs to sweet Miss Ella!!

Luvpics said...

Rachel, you did a wonderful job documenting Ella's day! You caught all the emotions. I wish your daughter the best. You have a beautiful family.

Blanche

Megan said...

Glad everything went well. Rachel only you can take pictures of a surgery day and make them look beautiful.

Melanie said...

I am so glad it went so well. Cool to document the whole thing through photos. You're so good at that.

Mary Denton Taylor said...

First of all, I am so happy for you and Ella, but I'm afraid I need to do a little bit of scolding here. Rachel, Rachel, Rachel. Young lady. I have been into photography for a good 15+ years now (wow, does that date me?) and I'm afraid I need to teach you a lesson. These photos that you have taken are just BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a marvelous job, BUT... *YOU* are not in ANY of them!!! I can not imagine that during that entire experience, that you did not give that sweet little Ella a hug or two. You need to teach Darwin how to use that awesome new camera of yours (even if it is in "green" mode) so that YOU are in the photos. You don't want your kids growing up and not seeing how much you loved them - even enough to put yourself in a photo or two. Now, I understand how hard this is to do. You have to be willing to be photographed but even more, you have to be willing to give up a little control. ;) But, I have faith in you!! (Maybe you did have some photos with you in them but didn't post them? I hope that's the case. lol) Love you neighbor!!!

Rachel said...

You are very right Mary. I actually didn't get in any photos during the day. :( (I need to put the camera in green or P and show him the back-button.)

I DID give him his own point and shoot. You'd be proud of that. ;)

Tamara said...

Yay for tubes! I'm so glad all went well and E is already doing better! I loved the photo essay. Beautiful pictures! Very nice job.