Monday, June 29, 2009

Twelve years!

Seriously, I know I have been a blogging slacker. I've just been weirdly busy all summer. I also had a serious external hard drive mishap that sort of sucked the wind out of my sails for awhile, but I have a nifty new photo storage system. (It takes forever, but between DVDs, CDs, external, etc., if I ever lose another picture, I will throw up my hands and walk away in resignation.) Oh and um, people I've taken pics of, could I borrow the CDs I gave you and reburn them to my back up? ;) I'd love you all forever. :D

But on to why I am shaking the dust off my feet and posting!

Twelve years ago yesterday Darwin and I got married. We had a very low-key celebration, since Garrett had been sick a couple days earlier. We didn't want to leave him with a babysitter and possibly spread germs or have another kid fall ill and start throwing up.

Instead, I went and did a photo session and then we came home and got take-away from Applebees and the kids watched a movie and had pizza in the family room.

In a lot of ways, it was perfect. It was just life, but with a *little* bit of polish. I honestly am happy to be home with the kids and Darwin and just enjoy their company. Often with the kids we're so busy we only get to talk in little snippets, but now that the kids are getting older, we told them we were celebrating our anniversary and eating our tasty Applebees and Michael and Hannah went out of their way to make sure everyone let us just eat and talk in peace. I thought that was adorable.

I've also been reflecting on what a lucky girl I am. Darwin is such a great husband. He's supportive, calm, funny, smart, a hard worker, and he's super cute too. I could rattle off the Boy Scout motto and that would be Darwin. (Plus the cute. Don't forget the cute.) Even when I get all wound up into a ball of stress, he's there and calm.

Everytime we've had a baby, the nurses at the hospital and the midwives just goggle over how he is so attentive, involved, and supportive. One nurse that we had seen one night, and was then back the next night told us that she had gone home and told her teenaged son about Darwin and told him that if he (her son) could act like Darwin had, he'd have a happy marriage. That has always stuck with me. This woman has seen MANY husbands and wives in the same situation, but she could see what a gem Darwin is.

Anyway, woo! Twelve years!

4 comments:

Trimble said...

How sweet. Congrats on the twelve years. Also very sweet of Michael and Hannah. Oh and I have to say how amazing McKay was yesterday. Ya, maybe he was sitting where he wasn't supposed to be and maybe at first he was doing a little wandering but he eventually sat down and just sat there reverently, for a LONG time. Nice work McKay! And the sweet "do you still love me, mom" as you came and got him almost made me cry. You have such a sweet family. Also, if you need the CDs from me, I have them very handy so you're welcome to them. I'll try to remember to bring them by soon.

Linda said...

I'm happy you had a wonderful day. I also have to say that our family is very blessed to have you as part of our family. You have done so well with the challenges that have come your way. Thank you for being the helpmeet Darwin needs.

Kim said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I also have my CD if you need it.

Markell said...

Happy Anniversary. You do have great kids. I have my CD too. I'll call you when I get back from my trip and drop it off. Maybe you could still do the daddy thing with the kids that I asked about. His birthday is the end of the month so maybe that would work? I still need to paint the letters--any ideas on colors? Just let me know. Thanks so much! You guys are incredible!!!!!