Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One Word

I was reading Adrien's blog today and she had a great post. Each year she picks a word and that becomes her "theme" for the year. It reminds her of what she wants to accomplish. A mantra, so to speak.

I decided I wanted to pick a word for this year. My word came to me almost at once, as it is one I have been pondering for awhile now.

Remember


My first reason is probably kind of obvious to other Mormons. I have been pondering on the scripture Helaman 5:12 from the Book of Mormon.

"12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I want to remember the Savior more. I want to build upon his sure foundation. It certainly seems as if there is a storm raging out there anymore, and I want to be firm.

But then, there are other things to the word Remember.

First off, I feel like when I delivered Ella, I also grew a bunch of little holes in my brain. Sure, I could retain all of the big things and all of the things that were habits and routines, but all of the little things have been slipping out. As hard as I tried to hold on to the details, the more they slipped away. So I want to work harder on writing things down and remembering to check my calender (and keeping my calender safe from little hands who like to move it) so that I can be that person that people can rely on 100% again.

Second, I am so happy with keeping a blog. I feel like our family history has been well-served this year and I want to continue. I want to keep blogging, even if only for myself and our family history. (Of course, all of the fun friends and comments are a BIG plus!) I want to keep taking pictures and growing and learning how to do that better as well, so that we can remember these precious times before they are past. So I want to work harder at Remembering.

Third, I want a word that will REMIND me of who I want to be. I know I want to be a Daughter of God. I want to be a good mother. I want to be a kind friend. I want to be a hard worker. I want to be healthy. I have no shortage of goals for myself. But sometimes, those long term ideals can fall prey to short term pleasantries. Being a kind and gentle mother falls victim to frusteration and terse words. Having a healthier body falls victim to just "one" cookie. I want to REMEMBER my goals and the person I really want to become, even when the longterm view is clouded by the amnesia of the present.

Fourth, there are many things I hope to learn this year, and I want to REMEMBER what I learn and use it. I want to practice and use the things I learn so that it can become a part of who I am, readily accessible in any circumstance.

So, this is my word for 2009. Remember.

5 comments:

Adrian said...

Love it!! Dont you just love the one word idea? It has been so refreshing for me instead of just setting goals every year. Your post gave me tingles and made me think maybe my word should be remember...but, then, I always like everyone's word...I will share my word in a few days on my blog and why I chose it. Thank you for sharing too!!! You inspire me.

Fancypants said...

Both of you gals are so inpsiring. My word for the new year is "Survive".

Kathryn said...

This year, I pledge to print our this post and REMEMBER to read it often.

Beautifully written, my friend.

Melanie said...

Thank you. You always uplift.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel...your blog is wonderful! I second your realization that blogging is a way of keeping family history. I have been amazed at all the things I have blogged...and thereby "recorded" about our family. Plus the uncanny NEED I have to blog makes me take more pictures and see my life in a more beautiful and perhaps inspirational light (inspirational to me, at least...)

Love the one word idea....going to have to ponder over that one...as I ponder my goals for the new year. It is an interesting and appealing approach.