Saturday, November 22, 2008

Christmas Getting to Know You

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, if it is from Santa. Gift bags for others.

2. Real tree or Artificial? artificial.

3. When do you put up the tree? Day after Thanksgiving. The kids have been BEGGING lately, but I simply cannot have the tree up before Thanksgiving.

4. When do you take the tree down? New Year's Day.

5. Do you like egg nog? I don't think so. I didn't as a kid, and I never tried it again. Something about the name biases me.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I can't remember, but one that really sticks out in my mind is this little family of chipmunks that lived in a hollowed-out log carrying case made of fabric.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, Little People, Veggie Tales, a stuffed one, and 2 glass ones. Ntivities are important to me.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Darwin. He is more of an "I-like-the-money-in-the-bank-account"-kind of guy. But then, I am also finding that shopping for an older boy who does not own a video game system is pretty darn tricky too.

9. Easiest person to buy for? All of the kids are generally pretty easy, but girls have a lot bigger selection of what I would deem appropriate toys, especially as they grow up.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Eh, I try to mail them, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Kim said, "I really don't remember a gift I hated. Anytime someone puts thought into buying me a gift I appreciate it. " I totally agree.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love Elf and While You Were Sleeping. But my top favorite is A Charlie Brown Christmas. I still get a bit teary even 2 billion viewings later. Oh, and I love to watch Garrett rock out to A Wiggly Christmas. ;) (The Wiggles totally have the best Christmas DVDs. They still do all of the traditional songs, like "Silent Night" and "Angels We Have Heard on High.")

13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, but I have taken a plate of treats neighbors brought over to a Christmas party, when I had forgotten about the party and needed last-minute goodies.

14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Mashed potatoes. (I really like mashed potatoes.)

15. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Ours is prelit with clear, but I really love colored lights. They seem so much more festive.

16. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night and Ding Dong Merrily on High. OH! And the traditional The First Noel set to Pachebel's Canon in D that the ward does every year.

17. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Staying home. 1) We have lots of family local and 2) with 5 kids, travelling is just too much.

18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Mais oui.

19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning.

20. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The rush, rush, rush of everything. Oh, and the fact every store prominently displays hugely expensive (and just plain HUGE) toys all over, so my kids think they really want these pricey monstrosities. They are always really happy with the smaller, less costly toys that they actually get, but it stresses Santa out. ;)

21. Favorite ornament theme or color? Shatterproof. ;)

22. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? Mashed potatoes!!

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? I got my nifty lens, so honestly, I'm good.

I tag anyone who wants to participate, and you know you want to participate. ;)

4 comments:

Kim said...

Okay, since you mentioned the outragiously expensive toys... What is up with the giant stuffed pony? And this year they added a giant dinosaur for like $200. Who buys that stuff?

Rachel said...

Seriously. I so wonder this. WHO has room for a HUGE pony and dinosaur?

Not us.

Trimble said...

I love the plate of cookies, that's funny. I'm also all over the shatterproof ornaments now. Should be an interesting year for me. :) In answer to your question about the huge and hugely expensive toys, my SIL.

Fancypants said...

You must try eggnog again. I know the word 'nog' in un-natural, but it's not bad. Berkley loves it! Thin it out with a little milk and it's a delicious holiday treat.