Friday, November 7, 2008

Getting creative

I do a lot of laundry. I also fold a lot of laundry. And put a lot of it away too. (Darwin is a big helper. Oh, and so is Garrett. He helps me gather all the dirty stuff up.)

But I have an idea, and I think it needs to catch on.

One day, when I am crazily rich and can build my own dream house (hey! It could happen!) I am going to build a HUGE laundry room in a central location in the house. It will have 2 washers and 2 dryers. It will have a large counter in the middle for folding, mending, and ironing. It will have a big sink for soaking. And it will be lined with closets and drawers for everyone.

No more of this namby-pamby keeping clothes in the bedrooms business! No sir. Everyone will come into the big closet room and select their clothing for the morning and in the evening they will deposit their dirty clothing in the apporpriate wash bin in the big closet room again. All clothing interactions (minus dressing) will take place in this room.

This ought to reduce my time hauling laundry around to rooms. Picking laundry up off of floors. It might even help with lost socks. If we streamlined the whole process, there would be no confusion over what laundry goes where.

Come on, admit it. You all want a big laundry/closet room now, don't you?

8 comments:

Fancypants said...

Bruce will do the house plans (being an architect and all). Let's compile all of our good ideas, have him do the plans, we sell the plans, become rich, and then build our dream house?!?

Melanie said...

Rachel, can I come and use your big laundry room too? I think that would be perfect. I hate laundry...and oh, what am I off to do again? One guess!

Kim said...

I think you've shared this idea with me before and I'm totally on board. Now, do you have a plan for us all to become filthy rich so we can afford this laundry room?

Anonymous said...

i totally do! that sounds awesome

Trimble said...

Two ideas...laundry shutes from all bedrooms and bathrooms or you could build a circular house with all rooms placed around the fabulous laundry room. Second idea...bank teller tubes. Wouldn't that be fun. Until one of the children decided to put coins in.

Also, I'm with Kim, I really hope you have a plan for us to all become filthy rich.

Cynthia said...

Very feasible (the closet thing in the laundry area). When we were growing up, our clothes got left in the laundry area until we usually put them away. What ended up happening is we would leave our clothes in there and just change in the laundry area. Now the only hard part is getting the dirty clothes to all congregate to the laundry area. Maybe you should just add a dressing room (like at department stores) and that way the dirty clothes would not leave the laundry room.

Kathryn said...

I still think if we'd pushed the "McKay for President" idea, we'd be MUCH better off today, don't you think?

Then we'd all be able to afford to have our limo drivers take us & our laundry over to Rachel's FABULOUS laundry room!

No really. I DO want one.

Markell said...

It would be wonderful. Someday I would love a big washer so I don't have to do my 20 loads a week! Someday!

My friend's mom growing up redid their laundry room and created a cupboard area with a large laundry basket for each person. They would fold right out of the dryer and put in the correct basket and then they would each be responsible for putting their clothes away from there. Not bad for a family of 8 kids!