Monday, November 3, 2008

Ugh

Today was awful.

I was rounding up the kids backpacks and shoes and coats and the bus was due in about 2 minutes. Ella was up watching PBSkids with the other kids. They came down and she followed. She fell down the stairs.

Ugh. I feel sick thinking about it.

I noticed she was not using her arm much and took her to the doctor. Her clavicle is broken. BAD mommy. She is such a trooper.

I guess they don't cast or set clavicles and they are supposed to heal well, but my goodness, poor Ella. I feel awful. She is being so sweet. Once her arm was immobilized and she had some ibuprophen (the tylenol was not cutting it), she was back to being as calm as can be. She is a bit irked that she can't crawl, but it already working on a scoot.

There is no place to put gates on the stairs (there is no place to line one up, due to banisters, doors, etc.), so I am going to have to just keep Ella in the basement family room during the early morning rush. Since Michael and McKay are not quite ready to get themselves all ready in time for school, I need to do it for them and Hannah, so I just am not as aware as I should be of her during that time. Poor poor baby.

So she is in a sling and wrap for 4-6 weeks. They are ordering a clavicle brace, but are not sure if there is one in her size.




12 comments:

Alison said...

poor Ella! Let us know if we can do anything...help entertain the other kids or whatever!

Megan said...

Poor baby:-( My dad feel out of his bassinet when he was a baby and broke his clavicle. Everything is fine and he has no lingering effects. Don't blame yourself. Things happen and she will be back to normal in a few weeks.

Becky said...

That makes me so sad! I hope she heals quickly!

cathy said...

Poor Ella! And poor you! I think that I would be having nightmares about that for a while (not that I'm wishing that on you - quite the opposite). Glad she's alright. Hope she heals quickly!

Kim said...

Poor Ella! Jonathan fell down the stairs so many times as a baby, I'm surprised he never broke anything. It could happen to anyone, you're a good mom. Give me a call if you need any help with Ella or the other kids. She can always come over and keep me company in the mornings.

Trimble said...

So sad! If you need me to come over and help in the mornings please let me know. I'm happy to.

Anonymous said...

ohhh...that is so sad. she seems like a trooper though as it doesn't look like it bothers her.

Fancypants said...

Darn it! So sorry. Things happen and you are a super mom! Maybe this will encourage her to be a lefty....I need a fellow lefty to sit next to at the dinner table.

Cynthia said...

Ah, poor mommy and poor Ella- hope you both feel better soon!

Kathryn said...

Oh no!! Poor baby and poor mama!! I remember when Megan fell & got a concussion. The GUILT! Even though there was nothing I could've done differently.

I hope you know you're amazing and Ella will be just fine, right? Hang in there & be well SOON!!

Linda said...

Looks like she is doing well as a lefty! It's amazing how well they adapt. Accidents happen--that doesn't make you a bad mom! I remember one year I had so many visits to the ER during the month, that they already knew me when I came in. Love, Mom:)

Adrian said...

Poor girl. That makes me feel so bad. If it makes you feel any better, I DROPPED Izaak when he was 6 weeks old down 16 stairs in our house. Literally from the very top, and watched him roll to the bottom. I still get nervous holding babies and walking down my stairs. I am sure Ella will heal up beautifully!! Let me know if you need anything!