Friday, November 7, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...Hey wait!!

I went to Target last night.

I love Target. It is so tidy and orderly and the aisles are wide. I usually get a nice, Zen feeling when I am there.

But last night, Target was giving me a heart attack.

It was completely done up in all of its Christmas splendor. Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE Christmas. I love the decorations and the music and the wonderful feelings that come with getting ready for Christmas. And yes...I know it is looming ever closer and I still don't have all my shopping even close to done, but we're still 2.5 weeks out from Thanksgiving yet. It feels like we went from Halloween straight to the Christmas rush all of the sudden.

I love Thanksgiving. I love how it is right in the middle of the all of the busy holidays like Halloween and Christmas and New Years. I love how it helps us to pause, reflect, be grateful, and appreciate what we have. It helps offset the "gimmes" that seem to pop up around this time. Thanksgiving is not really one of those rush, rush, rush holidays (unless you count the day-after-Thanksgiving maddness into it all...which I don't.) It is about being with those we love, being patient as a wonderful meal is cooked, and enjoying and being grateful for all of the people, memories and things that make our lives wonderful.

But somehow, Thanksgiving has been completely missed! I know its been this way for a long time, but it seemed so jarring this year to have barely put away the Halloween costumes and then to suddenly be confronted with Christmas decorations galore. First, it sent my poor heart into v-tach over how much still has to be done to prepare. Even a nice, modest Christmas is no mean feat when you consider there are five children for whom memories need to be built. But then it made me a little sad. It felt like we're rushing right from the "Gimme candy!" mindset to the "Gimme presents!" mindset. And while I really love both of those holidays (I really really do, even moreso now that I have so many kids), I really want to stop and enjoy Thanksgiving. I feel like I need it so much this year.

So, I am making the decision to stop and not get caught up in the commercial rush to Christmas. I want to prepare myself to celebrate the birth of the Savior by stopping and being grateful for all of the many, many abundant blessings He has showered my family with.

So, even though I enjoy shopping at Target...I am choosing not to get caught up.

(Of course, that doesn't mean I won't calmly continue to shop early. Otherwise, it will not be a pretty sight come December. ;) )

4 comments:

Adrian said...

I agree. I want to try and slow it down these next 2 months and not be so "commercial".

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about the same thing a few days ago...how halloween is gimmme gimme. But then we can pause to give thanks and thanksgiving...and christmas can go either way, but you have to decide...is it going to be a gimme gimme holiday or is it going to be one where we focus more on giving and the birth of the savior?

Jon and Jacque said...

It always amazes me how the "season"--meaning the commercial stuff in stores--starts earlier and earlier every year. At our place we are in Thanksgiving mode, but we will transition into full blown Christmas mode the day after! I love everything about Christmas!

Kathryn said...

I absolutely WILL NOT address Christmas (except for early bargain hunting thru-out the year which is just necessary) until the day AFTER Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is my favorite, favorite, favorite (see my blog for more - wink!!) holiday and I just hate being hit in the face with Santa Claus-craziness before my chance to bask in the glory of Thanksgiving.

Thanks for taking up the Thanksgiving Cause!! You're always so right. :)