Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy 7th Birthday, McKay!

Since it was 7 years ago this morning that I had McKay, it got me to thinking. It was such a battle staying pregnant with him. He was an escape artist from the VEEEEEERRRRY beginning. I went into labor with him at 25 weeks and they sent me home on bedrest, since I was just softening, not dilating. I went back at 26 weeks, and they assured me it was all right, but I asked them to check and I was a 1. They kept me and started an IV and then the midwife came in to check when she arrived about an hour later and I was over a 3 and 80% effaced. They started a TON of mag sulfate and scared me by telling me what his odds were if I were to have him that night.

Luckily, we kept him in. For 10 more weeks. With a lot of meds and bedrest. He just always has been an escaper! But when he came at 36 weeks on the dot, I was so relieved. He had only a little trouble breathing, but he was alive. I was sooo happy!



McKay is such a sweetheart and I know he really really loves his family unconditionally. He is one of my greatest sources of stress and anxiety, but because of that, the happy times also seem exponentially happier. (It's like...parenting on hyperdrive! Everything is just magnified a million times.) I've learned so much from him and he is a very gracious teacher. I imagine before either of us were born, he humbly accepted the charge to be a teacher of many many people, even though it would mean that his incredible spirit would not be obvious to others unless they really sought it.






Happy Birthday to my sweet McKay!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday McKay!!!

Bekah said...

That was really beautiful, Rachel. That last part. I hope McKay had a wonderful birthday.