Friday, May 16, 2008

The strangest thing

I know that when new babies arrive, the older kids sometimes do odd things. But this started even before Ella arrived. Probably a good 3 or 4 months before she arrived. We pulled out all the baby stuff and Garrett found the binkies. He'd liked them marginally as a small infant, and outgrew them quickly. But once he found the binkies at about 20 months...he was hooked. Suddenly he really likes them. For the time being, I am content to let him feel like he still gets to be "little" as he adjusts to Ella, but soon enough, I think it will be time to start the process of weaning him from it. It just seems like such an odd habit to pick up at nearly 2.

But then, Hannah started sucking her thumb at 2.5 years old. About 3 months before Garrett arrived. Maybe that's why I am so zen over the binky. It is a LOT easier to stop than the thumb. I am about at my wit's end over what to do about the thumb.
I've just got to wonder how it is none of the kids cared much for binkies and thumbs as infants, but they become so enthralling once the kids become toddlers?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Hailey found the pacifier again when she was 18months. She didn't even know how to use it correctly and fortunately she didn't really get hooked. So when she wasn't paying attentino I hid them from her. We'll see what happens, though, when she sees the new baby with a pacifier.