Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Open Door Policy

Well, not AS open anymore. We've been having some issues with McKay and running away. He is getting old enough it that I would let him play out front, but there have been issues of darting into the street, walking into neighbor houses, and running off without telling me where he is going.

So, we now have a locked door policy--or MORE locked. McKay has gotten very smart at defeating locks. The top slide lock was rendered pretty much useless by the window ledge (functioning as a step stool) and a growth spurt for McKay over the winter. So, we've resorted to a double-cylinder deadbolt. I was resisting this one, since it can be a lot more dangerous in a fire, but the danger of McKay getting hit by a car was becoming far less theoretical, so voila! Double-cylinder deadbolt.

We also had to put one of those code garage door opener panels up. INSIDE the garage. We moved the little doorbell-looking button waaaaaay high and then installed the panel. Now we need a code to open the garage. Plus, the backyard gates are bolted. To the outside observer, we probably look like the most paranoid family in our little rural community--unreasonably afraid of burglers. Not so. It is more concern about escapees. I THINK we are at a pretty safe level. But then, everytime I think that, McKay outsmarts me. So, watch this space for a post about McKay defeating these locks too. He's a smart one.

Still, I might just get enough time to clean today, since I won't be chasing McKay all over the neighborhood.

No comments: