Thursday, June 12, 2008

Birds of a feather....with the 3:30am update!

Hannah, Garrett, Ella and I are sitting downstairs at 11:30 eating pierogis (well, not Ella) and I think we are all wondering what we are doing up so late.

Mmm, pierogis.

Hmm, I am updating this at 3:30 am. Ugh. Don't eat pierogies that late. You'll be up all night. Word to the wise, eh?

On the other hand, the others are all sleeping soundly. I, however, am seriously mulling over how to keep McKay from further escapes. Maybe that is what is keeping me up all night. There has to be a way to keep him safe and for him to be more appropriate. He spent yesterday going into at least 3, possibly 4 houses. One ended fairly badly. One was pretty embarassing to me. (He locked himself in the master bedroom! Oh, that is embarassing.) One, he might have awakened a night-working father. (I don't think he did, but if this continues, it could easily, and might have already.) And he has about 7 houses, with a very occational 8th, that he goes into. His boundries are rapidly expanding. It used to just be 2.

On the plus side, I did figure out how he is getting over the fence. So, riddle with me how to stop it. I thought he was just muscling over the fence once we got rid of all the climbing aids. Nope. There is a telephone wire that is stapled around the bottom of the house. He is stepping on THAT to help hoist himself high enough to get over the fence. So I tried discussing with him yesterday evening the potential ramifications of using the wire to step over ("your computer will break, the phone will break") and he didn't quite get it. So, somehow I will have to block access to the wire...but how?

One very interesting thing to note. If McKay thinks about what he is saying (because sometimes he is zoned out and just agrees to anything), he cannot lie. When I was grilling him, even under the threat of no cookies, if he was going to break the rule and run away again, he would NOT promise he would not run away again. He was totally evasive! Like, I was thinking, this kid could be a lawyer! So, in 20 years, if he is some big successful lawyer, we can all look back on this post and get a good chuckle. But, but for the moment, I think he means he can't promise he won't escape again. Oddly, I am getting the feeling he is driven--internally-compelled to escape if he has the chance. Even against what he wants to do. I don't know how to explain it, but almost like he can't stop himself.

And finally, a hats off to the cat, who I have realized in the last few days is sitting outside of whatever house McKay is in. What a good kitty. He deserves kitty sainthood.

What a summer! I think this will be one I'm going to remember for a long time.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I had to look up what pierogis were. I have never had them before.
Wow- McKay's escapes- too bad you don't live in Cali, because most doors would be locked and nobody would be home so he wouldn't be getting into homes.
At least you figured out his escape route. Now just get Darwin on solving the problem because Darwin likes to solve problems.
And you definitely have a good kitty! Very helpful!

Fancypants said...

Wow! I thought I was the only one awake at 3:30am thinking about a variety of things (although mine are more random...like 'how can I rotate my food storage better' or 'I hope my favorite show gets recorded tomorrow'). You have a lot on your plate. You are amazing.