Thursday, June 26, 2008

Darn that Switzerland!

I was reading an article on the Hadron Supercollider. It is all very interesting. In Switzerland, along the French boarder, they have built a 26km long supercollider for protons. They plan to make them crash into each other at speeds just 1 millionth of a percent slower than the speed of light.

This should theoretically provide lots of interesting data on things like String Theory, etc. But there is also an itty-bitty possibility that they could open up a small black hole. Now, the scientists feel that if this happened, since it would be small, it ought to decay extremely quickly. Of course, if it DOESN'T decay quickly, well, darn it, the whole Earth, and possibly the whole solar system may be sucked into the black hole.

It's scheduled to be tested in the next month or so. (It keeps being pushed back due to accidents.) So, if you find yourself suddenly flying in the direction of Switzerland, you'll now know why.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

that made me laugh! Now I will be prepared if I feel myself pulled toward Switzerland. Thanks for the heads up.

Fancypants said...

I've always wanted to visit Switzerland. I'll pack my bag.