Thursday, August 7, 2008

An apple a day...

I never know quite when the fruit man will come. But once a year in August, there is a guy who comes around selling boxes of apples, oranges and grapefruit.

I am not usually one to get things from door-to-door people. But the first year--about 5 years ago--I was lured by the low prices for so much fruit.

Now? I just love the taste of the fruit! By this time of year, we are usually at the dregs of last year's apple crop in the stores. They are mealy and bland and mushy and wax-covered. It is all sad.

And in swoops the fruit guy with his fresh little Fugis! They are crisp, sweet/tart, and fresh. No wax. Plus, they are the greatest size for kids. Not too big at all. Hannah can finish one off in one sitting and there is not a ton left.




I usually dislike door-to-door people. I don't like strangers coming to my door, pressuring me to buy stuff. In fact, I have toyed with a No Soliciting sign. But I am thinking if I ever do one, I will need to ammend it, "No Soliciting...unless you're the apple guy."

3 comments:

cathy said...

Oh, how nice! I'm like you in that I hate solicitors, so I probably never would have even tried one of your delicious apples. Lucky you to have discovered them!

We do get good apples at our local vegetable stand later on, and we've ordered 3 boxes of Colorado peaches from our church that will get here later this month. I can't wait!!!!

Kim said...

It's funny that we have missed the fruit guy every year that we've lived here. This year, he caught us on our way out the door. So, we got the yummy fruit this year too.

Mark Salinas said...

One time I was having a *tiff* (to put it nicely) with my wife, I decided it was time to take a break so I was going to take the car to the car wash. As I was leaving guess who was standing at the door? Two Jehovah witnesses, hmmm I thought...what the heck come in guys! "Honey, I yelled to my wife, you have company" :):):) An hour later I received an angry call on my cell phone %*#&%^%! and so on....that was 9 years ago and I am still paying for that one! :)I like apples too! :)