Sunday, August 3, 2008

Oh my, it's August...

School is coming. Hannah has her letter for Kindergarten. We know her teacher. (Fotheringham, for those who are in the know around here. I am hearing good things about her...any personal opinions? Mary? Nancy? Others?)

I am trying to keep my slight panic at bay. I know I got panicky with all the kids as they have gone into Kindergarten. But so far, I have only had kids going into Kindergarten with an IEP. I've already met the teachers and their team well before school started. (Even before the prior year ended.) I'd had plenty of time to discuss with their preschool teacher, who I trust very very much.

This is a totally new experience.

Hannah is also SO young. I keep questioning my judgement on sending her. She turns 5 just 2 days before the official start of school. (Kindergarten starts a week later. So she'll be five for a whole NINE days before she REALLY starts school.) She seems so young. Surely she will be one of the very youngest of her year. And yet, she is SO social and so mature. Her academics are fairly strong. But she has a propensity to be a chatter and doesn't automatically accept authority-figures. I don't know! I just want this to be a really really good experience for her.

Still, I think this is the right choice. I mean, the worst that can happen is we decide to do a second year of Kindergarten. Half of Hannah's little friends are in this year and half will be in the next year. It's only half-day, so it is a little like glorified preschool. So, we can watch tentatively and see how it goes. I imagine it will be a smashing success...but then she is SO young. I really want to start school on the right foot.

Geesh, I think I always have more trepidation about school starting than my kids do each year.

2 comments:

Fancypants said...

Kennedy loved Mrs. Fotheringham. Hannah is in good hands. Mary may have had a different experience but I think with most teachers, unless they are down right BAD teachers, it all depends on the chemistry between teacher and student. Kennedy is a sensitive child (tears come easily) but she did well with her.

Kim said...

I think you are right to send Hannah to school this year. She is so ready to go. The worst that can happen is that she repeats kindergarten, but I really don't see that happening. Even if she wasn't ready, I'd still say send her for the free pre-school. ;)