Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Oh and MORE camera woes

I'm still having issues with my camera's auto-focus. I would line up the AF dots at the corners of my kids' eyes and bam...perfectly focused um, ears? It was getting so distractingly frusterating. Lovely sharp hairlines, ears, cheeks, but never sharp eyes.

In researching a little, it looks like there are some Canon XTs out there with this as a known issue. (Not ALL of them have this issue, but it does seem to be an issue with some.) So, I have sent in my lenses and the body and they'll try to calibrate them. If this doesn't work, I am going to ask for a different camera body. It just should not be this hard to get decently-focused pictures. In fact, at Hannah's birthday party, my friend grabbed my camera and played Mamarazzi while I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off. She had it on P mode, and literally NO pictures she took were useable. They were just blurry messes. (And she did depress the shutter halfway to focus, etc.)

Having borrowed a friend's XSi (which has basically the same focal system) and having seen how easy it was to focus and get crisp pictures, I am firmly of the opinion my particular camera body is just a dud. But on the plus side, I am getting really good at manually focusing everything. Still, that's just not feasible when life moves at the speed of a toddler.

So...another 3 weeks of no SLR. Back to ol' trusty, my Panasonic.

1 comment:

cathy said...

Oh no, not again! Sorry you're having such bad problems. They're going to make a Nikon user out of you, aren't they?