Friday, July 18, 2008

Food Wars

So in the ongoing battle of nutrition that goes on in the house, sneakiness and marketing play an important role. Like, tonight, we had chicken parmesean for dinner. Yummy! Unless you're a kid. Then you're contractually obligated to clamp your mouth shut and refuse to try. But if you're not having "Parmeasean Chicken", but rather "Pizza Chicken"...well, the union won't come after you. As a member of the Union of Children, you are released from the Clamp and Refuse Clause if you are presented with food from the "Pizza Family." Oh and notice how I also adhere to the Non-Touching Food Group Conventions of 1999? Hey, what can I say? I'm all about Dinner Table Peace.

Which leads to this...

I have other extremely extremely sneaky ways to get nutrition into my kids (that make this look like child's play.) I will post sometime about my brownies that use beans instead of oil and have spinach and blueberries mixed in...all without being something you can taste. I can see you shuddering. But really, if you don't tell, they won't know. Hmm, I think you're still shuddering, aren't you?

Seriously, they need to offer a PhD in this stuff. I have never worked so hard in my life.

6 comments:

Alison said...

Congratulations! You could earn honorary degrees in food and nutrition and the psychology of food. That's hilarious!

Cynthia said...

Have you seen the cookbook by Jerry Seinfield's wife? I think it is called "Deliciously Deceptive" and she has receipes for all sorts of yummy foods with hidden fruits and veggies that you can't taste. Your post reminded me of that book because that is what you do!

Rachel said...

I totally have her cookbook Cynthia! I like The Sneaky Chef a pinch better, because it is a little more well-rounded and has a bit more depth.

I think feeding picky kids healthily could be an all-day endeavor.

Kim said...

Hey, I need someone to cook that stuff for me. If I cook it myself, then I know what's in it.

Rachel said...

Kim, come borrow the books. You seriously CANNOT tell. I mean, the brownies are a PINCH on the cakey side, but seriously, low in fat, high in fiber...you cannot beat it.

And there are tons of yummy recipies. Just pretend you dont know. ;)

Megan said...

Very creative. I look forward to the recipe because sometimes it is difficult to get Andy to eat healthy.