Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday excitement

We set out all the clothes the night before, got up early enough to shower and dress everyone on time. Boys hair was cut, so not much brushing was needed. We were primed to be on time for church...until McKay decided 5 minutes before church to run off. We loaded everyone in the van and noticed McKay was gone. Problem was...he likes to run into people's houses, and everyone was at church.

So Darwin started knocking on doors to see if McKay would come running out and I started driving up and down the busy streets and to the park to look in the backyards of the houses. Then I went to the church to see if he ran on ahead and went to the nursery. No such luck. I also secured subs for the nursery while I ran in.

We kept sweeping the area, and our best guess was that he was hunkered down in someone's house. Sunday is a bad day for running.

Darwin's van was dead, so I stopped home and we jumped it. Darwin started driving too, with the plan to circle back by the house every few minutes. As Darwin started driving off, he noticed two police officers by the park. He decided to stop and ask for help, and they had McKay. They had called McKay's teacher and knew his last name. So, it all worked out, after an hour of looking.

He had run by the stake center and gone into someone's house. A totally different routine. He's been so good about NOT running for the last 3 or so weeks. I don't know what prompted the run today. Either way, I hope it was just a deviation from the norm and NOT the new norm.

So, back to putting our phone number on his arm in Sharpie again.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Wow--what a scary morning. The stake center is really quite a ways away--so he was adventurous. Reminds me of a couple of young kids in our first neighborhood--got on their big wheels and went for a drive. They ended up several blocks from home in the mini center with shops. They ended up on TV in the news. (this was near Sugar House Park)

Rachel said...

Yes, my goal this summer is not to end up on the news. I'd like to think it is a modest goal...but ya know, I give us 50/50 odds. ;)

Alison said...

Oh my gosh...how scary. I'm glad it all worked out....and I'm glad there were no news cameras :-)

Bekah said...

Let's see ... Athlete comes first to mind. Long-distance runner, or possibly sprinter - I've never seen him in action, so I don't know how fast he is. International Spy is also a distinct possibility, with his ability to blend into his surroundings. Handyman would work - he finds all kinds of places to get into. Perhaps he'll fix them up? Mail carrier would also work, since he likes different houses. Though that could be a lean towards real estate, or perhaps architecture. Oh wait, how about missionary? He's not adverse to being in different places on a whim, now, is he?

:) God can use anything, Rachel. Romans 8:28. I hope you guys will work out solutions to this, and that you will be able to place McKay's safety in His hands, however many times you have to do that. I'll be praying for you and that obviously talented boy!

cathy said...

Very scary and very stressful, I'm sure. My heart was racing just reading the post. Hoping that you have at least another 3 week stretch of no running...

Megan said...

Wow those fun kids keep you busy. I always ran away at shopping centers when I was a kid. I hope I don't get to have too many of those experiences with our kids.