Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My playroom decorating plan

Our playroom is not bare, that's for sure. But the walls don't have any decoration on them. I've kind of toyed (get it, ha ha) with a lot of different ideas for giving it some decoration, but nothing ever really hit me as right.

But I decided to take some pictures of the kids' favorite toys (thanks for the idea Raquel!) and then frame them and hang them.

Admittedly, some of the pictures are of some odd toys (and the Jack-in-the-Box looks a little creepy to me), but they are the kids favorites. Well, I need a couple more of Hannah's favorites, but she kept running off with them while I was trying to take the pictures. Who knew toys moved faster than kids when you took their pictures?

So, I am collecting opinions on whether I should do them in black and white or color. The walls are three shades of tan, since the playroom is right off of the family room downstairs, if that makes a difference in your call.

Here is a slideshow of the pictures, in black and white and color. I think you just click View All Images. I think?

8 comments:

Kim said...

Those pictures are great! Have I mentioned yet today that I covet your camera? My vote is for color. I love B&W, but for some reason I like those toy pics better in color. And yes, the Jack in the Box is kinda creepy.

Bekah said...

That is an AWESOME idea. I totally vote for color. I mean, that's what you want a playroom to be, right? Fun! You're not quite to the "sentimental" B&W stage with toys yet, as they still get strewn all over your house! :D

You know I'm pretty blunt, right? Well, ok, brace yerself here. Teletubbies are creepy enough without the B&W zombie look (They're staring at you!! They don't blink!!), and that cute fuzzy pink bear? Yeah, it looks like there are little maggots coming out of it, in B&W. (I know! Eww! Sorry, sorry!!) The clown looks downright mad in B&W, but not quite so bad in color. Plus, Woody looks like you're going to have the cops outline his body in chalk ... but he's tough to prop up - I can relate, as we have Woody as well! lol

Sorry to be so, um, morbid - and maybe my imagination runs away a tad too far - but yes. For a playroom you want bright and cheerful, and when you're 72 and looking back at those pictures, if you don't have the Teletubbies in color you're probably not going to remember which one is Tinky Winky.

So color is vital, if for no other reason than that. :P

Kathryn said...

Another vote for color!

Great idea...I may steal it. I'm not above stealing, just so you know.

Anonymous said...

those are some great pictures. the colors seem to all go really well together except for that darn jack in the box- maybe you could hide him in a corner. If you do b&w I would do lots of different color frames, but if you do color, I would put them in black frames with white mats or white frames with black or white mats. There are a lot of pictures so I would maybe do some frames with multiple photo slots in different shapes and sizes or maybe do them all single. I guess it just depends if you do a collage or go in a line around the room or something. That's a whole new problem though, where and how to position them all. I think my vote is for the color because they are so vibrant and a black/white frame would add class/gallery like style esp. against the tan wall. Just hide the jack in the box in an out of place way. sorry for the novel. hope this helps and good luck. you have to post a pic when you get it all done. PS I love the idea!

Linda said...

Definitely COLOR! The toys lose their pizazz in black & white. What a cute idea! Mom:)

Cynthia said...

I am for the color because most of the toys have so many vibrant colors that need to be displayed. It will especially pop on the tan walls.

Alison said...

What a great idea! Great pictures. I absolutely vote for color...it's a toy room. The colors are so bold and even seem to coordinate well with lots of yellow, red, blues and greens.
Cool!

Res said...

COLOR!!!! No question about it!