Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mr. Wizard


Everyone says Michael looks just like a mini-Darwin. They are, of course, right. But he is not just mini-Darwin in looks only.

Lately Michael is on a quest to "experiment." Our kitchen is his lab of choice. Last night he was taking paper bowls and coloring with red marker in the bottom and then testing what he thought might get the marks out and recording his results on a little chart he made. (I need to find the chart and add that picture, because it is pretty cool.)

So, he tried baking soda and water, vinegar, cold water and soap, hot water and soap, and plain water. His hypothesis was that the hot water and soap would do the best job. Actually none of them got the marker off. With a little help from mom and dad, we're ammending the testing procedure and tonight we'll see what happens if we scrub with each. We'll see if that helps.

Since watching Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman, he's also been talking about how oils are hydrophobic unless you use a detergent. Then they are more hydrophyllic and will bond with the water. Wow, who said TV was dumbing down America?? I think it is also a pinch amusing that he is SO interested in chemistry for cleaning. I mean, cleaning? I need to figure out how to use this to my advantage. "Hey, Michael, let's experiment and see which toilet bowl cleaner works best and theorize about which ingredient might be causing the differences!"

I also want to point out his safety glasses. (Mr. Wizard would be proud!)

4 comments:

Kim said...

What a smart kid. When he's done experimenting with cleaning your house, you can send him over here. ;)

Cathie said...

My kids love that show. I always call it Rex Rufman and the kids yell at me.

Melanie said...

Super cute! I think that you and Darwin are doing such a great job fostering their learning and exploring. Tell me if the bathroom thing works! I am also impressed by the glasses. I am constantly reminding the boys and Ryan to use those while they finish the basement.

BTW:...do I really have hard word verifications? I haven't the foggiest why.

Ahnah said...

What a smarty pants! Love the goggles too. Watch out Darwin, Michael's coming!