Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Walmart Woes

*grumble*

Normally, I'd be all nice and say, "I went to a certain store today...and I had a bad experience", but honestly, I'm grumpy. So, yeah.

Walmart is just on my bad list lately.

First, on Sunday morning VERY early, Hannah woke up vomiting violently. So after getting things somewhat under control, Darwin ventured off to pick up some soda for Hannah to sip. It was about 4 am.

Darwin walked towards the store and two of the employees were on their break, smoking in the front of the store, and they yelled at him, "Go back to your cardboard box!!" I guess he might have looked untidy as he was roused from sound sleep at about 3 am to help his vomiting daughter and then proceeded to go get soda to help her stay hydrated without passing Go or getting a shower or fresh clothes. But come on...it's 4 am!

Besides, if homeless people can't go buy food or whatever at Walmart, where SHOULD they go? Rude.

Then today I stopped by there because I needed some food items AND non-food items and I was short on time. So I stopped by Walmart. Ugh.

Hannah wanted to spend some of her birthday money and Garrett was also getting a toy for filling up his check list.

The toy aisle had NO toys! Well, ok they had SOME. But they were all over $20. Almost no Little People. Hardly any Barbies. Only expensive, noisy ones. But, to add to the fun experience, there were ads on the ends of the aisles that were so loud. Ella was asleep and we walked by one and it started growling, and singing and just...being loud. She woke up promptly.

And finally, I WAS pondering buying a new CF card and SD card for my cameras...but they had locked them onto the racks, and when I asked the Walmart person at the camera counter how to get one to buy, he told me he had to unlock them, but he couldn't because he was busy. So, nevermind, I'll get them elsewhere. (They aren't that fast anyway, so he probably saved me from being frusterated in the end...)

So, I know I am usually cheerful. But gosh, Walmart sure put a damper on it for me. (And poor Darwin, I know he needs a haircut...but homeless?)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe they would say that to Darwin. I agree, HOW RUDE!! Sorry to hear about your bad experience... maybe try Target instead?

Kim said...

I don't know what time you were at Walmart today, but all of Utah county was there around 12:00 and the wait to check out was approximately eternity. So, you probably saved yourself further grief by leaving.

Teri Le said...

I love to go to Wal-mart at 8 am right after I drop the kids off at school. SO calm and quiet.

Anonymous said...

yeah that's why I try to avoid wal-mart at all costs because I most always leave their frustrated or upset for some reason and am in a worse mood than when I came in. So that's why I shop at Target - things just always seem more peaceful there.

Rachel said...

I totally agree Ruth. I can't figure it out. But I get excited when I have reason to shop at Target and I try to put off Walmart trips as long as possible. They carry nearly the same stuff too. Why is this?

(Oh one reason, off the top of my head--the aisles are wide enough in Target to actually navigate two carts down, let alone one.)

Fancypants said...

I'm excited for the Smith's Market Place to open across from Micron. It's close enough to ride my bike to, clean, and no homeless men trying to buy soda at 4am **wink**

Kim said...

I used to work for Target and my job was to spy on Walmart once a week. I would go over with a list of items and compare our prices. Target was always more expensive, but only by a few cents usually.

Cynthia said...

Yes, I try to avoid Walmart too, way too busy and crowded.
And those employees were way rude to Darwin. That would have made me mad.

Rachel said...

Y'know Nancy, I hear there is a real problem at our Walmart with those homeless men going for soda runs at 4 am.

I'd watch out. ;)

Kathryn said...

Just one more experience that makes me long for a Super Target. Sigh.

I will ONLY go to Walmart at 8:00am after dropping the kids off at school. If I can't go then, I don't REALLY need anything.

Except at 4:00am. Then you just go where you gotta go.

And bring shoes with heavy soles to throw at obnoxious Walmart workers loafing out front.

Melanie said...

Rachel,

I have the same problem here, but I have no other option. walmart is literally the only "Shopping" place around here...unless we travel two hours to Spokane. About a month ago, a Walmart store person came up to me and told me that my children needed to stop running around the store because they didn't want anyone getting hurt. Um...my kids were right with me and we were all looking at some things on shelves. I was a very unhappy person that day. So, all my sympathy...and tell Darwin that I look like a homeless person everyday not just in the morning. :)

Melissa said...

Oh no they did not!! So sorry Rachel :(

Trimble said...

Well hello. Found you from our various neighbor's blogs. I hope you don't mind my spying. Just jumping on the I hate Wal-Mart band wagon. On the rare occasion when I go alone, it's not so bad if you have and MP3 player blasting in your ears. :) I do have to admit I was very pleased with the customer service I received when my little one got his leg stuck in the cart (see my blog). Let's just hope that the Wal-Marts being built in Saratoga Springs and Cedar Hills will at least alleviate the eternity checkout lines as mentioned by Kim and experienced by all. :) BTW- the pic below of Darwin and Hannah is so cute!