Sunday, October 12, 2008

Well, well, well

Hannah can READ.

I feel a little bad saying I didn't know, but I didn't. She would always say, "It's too haaaaaard," when I'd ask her what something said, so I didn't push it. But last night she was sitting by me as I was typing on the laptop and she pointed at the word Google and said, "Is that...goggle?"

I about choked.

I told her it was Google (showed her the two Os and the sound those make and we talked about vowels again for a minute.) Then she pointed at the Internet Explorer toolbar and said, "Does this say 'Tools'?"

It did.

"Is this 'help'?"

Uh huh.

"Is this 'blog'?"

Tee hee.

Then as we went upstairs to bed she said, "Do you spell cat "K-A-T?" I was impressed at the phonetical spelling and told her it was a tricky C that sometimes sounded like a K, but that it was a great try. I asked her how she thought dog was spelled. "D-O-G." Then she went nuts spelling anything she could think of, breaking it down. That C is tricky, and it got her a couple of times, but her phonics were amazing. We both fell asleep going back and forth with spelling.

She's always been good with letter sounds and recognition, but she never seemed to care to push beyond that, but suddenly, with the start of school, it's cool. She wants to do it. And suddenly, it's all there. The spelling, the reading, the desire to put it all together.

By jove, I think she's got it!

7 comments:

cathy said...

Very impressive!!!

Cynthia said...

Go Hannah! Seeing other school age kids learning definitely is a good motivating factor to learn to read.

Kathryn said...

YEA, HANNAH!! :)

I remember the day I came out & found Alix reading a book to Megan on the couch. I was so sure Alix had memorized it that I didn't really pay attention. Then she turned 2 pages at once, began reading, and said "That's not right! I missed a page." and went back & continued READING.

I was floored! When did that happen?

Such a great mommy-moment. :)

Kim said...

Way to go Hannah! It's so fun to watch how things just finally click. It's like you can see the wheels turning in their heads.

femmesavante said...

I love it when it just "clicks". It is so awesome to witness.

Trimble said...

That's awesome. She's a little smarty!

Teri Le said...

I had lots of fun chatting with her on IM that night too! What a big girl she is!