Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My pretty ballerina

Hannah is taking a dance class. I signed her up today. It really was a foregone conclusion that she's take dance after she found out that 3 of her friends (the other girls in the carpool) were taking a dance class right after school.

She was just overjoyed at the whole thing. She did find the tap shoes a little slippery, but overall she was very attentive and worked hard for the whole hour. Sometimes her attention can wander, so I was pleased that she was so focused.

I am also happy because there is a dance carpool going on too, so that makes it a bit easier.

However, so add drama to our story, I had to bring Garrett and Ella along to sign Hannah up and we stayed to watch, since parents are only allowed to watch on the 1st Tues. of the month. But Garrett started getting restless at about the 40 minute mark. Really, I am proud that a 2-year-old boy lasted THAT long just sitting and watching. But to prevent a distraction to the dancers, I rounded up Garrett and Ella and was going to wait in the van with them for the last bit. But Garrett was having none of it. All of his 40 minutes of patience had been exhausted. So while I held his hand, the baby carrier, my camera and all its gear, my planner, the papers from the dance studio, and my keys, Garrett decided to play "Garrett-the-amazing-boneless-toddler" and go limp. So, before I knew it he was dangling from my hand. His arm popped and he started SHRIEKING. I knew he had a nursemaid's elbow--where the elbow dislocates--and it common among the toddler set.

I made a hasty escape from the studio and put Ella in the van and emptied my arms and surveyed the scene. It looked pretty bad. Garrett was holding his arm and wailing, "You hurt my arm!! You hurt my arm!!" (Can I admit I was not enthused at the idea of taking him to the ER with him wailing, "You hurt my arm!!!"? Yeah, I wasn't. But I AM admitting that openly in cyberspace. Hmmm.) Anyway, the nursemaid's elbow happened to Michael about 6 times. Half of the time it popped back in before we got to the doctor and the other half they just twisted it gently. So, I tried. I very gently rotated Garrett's forearm inwards and felt it all slip back into place. The crying stopped immediately and he said, "You say sorry for hurting my arm, mom." I was sorry. Once I apologized that he had been hurt, all was well with the world again.

Whew.

So that is the exciting first day of Hannah's dance education. I do hope the rest are less dramatic.




8 comments:

Trimble said...

Oh my! Funny and not so funny...:) I'm glad it all turned out so well.

Kim said...

They are so darned cute! Look at those little leotards. I am having girl envy. (Can't dress the boy up in a pink leotard.)

Alison said...

Whew! I'm glad you were able to get that fixed! Hannah looks so cute in her little outfit!

Cathie said...

oh Hannah is a so pretty!!!! I have to sign Demi up for dance again.

Melanie said...

Oh Rachel....the more I read your blog the more I think that we are twins somehow living the same life hundreds of miles apart....that could have been a scene from my life to the T. You're amazing.

Fancypants said...

I've never experienced that (the arm thing) with any of my children but Berkley has potential as she too becomes limp at times.

Hannah is adorable.

Kathryn said...

SOOO cute!

When I read "dance class drama" I was immediately reminded of the last day of Alix's 1st dance class when the teacher said...

"You might want to try something else for Alix. Something without a mirror."

Sigh.

She was so involved with watching herself, she never did realize there was a teacher or a class in there with her.

But the leotards were so stinkin' cute!

And Hannah is ADORABLE!!!

Cynthia said...

Hannah looks adorable in her ballet outfit.
Good job on staying calm and getting Garrets arm popped in. Go you!