Monday, September 29, 2008

Poor Darwin

He was lying on the floor in the front room, enjoying the sun, dozing (as one is wont to do on a Sunday afternoon) when I appropriated the front room to see if I could try out using a grey card to get better exposures. I picked the room for the same reason Darwin did--the sun. I've been constantly underexposing out of fear of overexposing. So, I threw all that fear to the wind and put my faith in the grey card. It was great! I loved it. It took a lot of the guesswork out of it. (With Hannah's really light hair it is easy to blowout the highlights in her hair...well easy for ME, probably not other photographers.)

Anyway, it was just supposed to be a couple seconds. But within that time, Hannah was climbing all over Darwin, poor fella. He was nice about it though. But you can see how tired he was. Still he even almost smiled.

Hannah, being Hannah, loved helping me practice. The funny thing is I really started trying to learn more about photography to take pictures in low light so that I could take Michael and McKay's pictures without a flash, so I could get actual open eyes in pictures. (They are both VERY sensitive to the flash.) I think all my years of flashing them right in the eyes with my on-camera flash has scarred those two. I come at them with a camera and they RUN! I need to gain back their trust and confidence...or learn more about ACTION photography! ;)

7 comments:

Markell said...

I love it!!! You're such a great photographer!!!! I wish I could take pictures like that!

Melanie said...

You have a great talent for this. You should get that picture of Darwin and Hannah up on your wall

Cynthia said...

That is a really nice picture of hannah and darwin. You can really see their family resemblance.

Mary Denton Taylor said...

Those are both adorable photos! Looks like you are starting to get that exposure down. We really have a lot in common, eh? - jewelry, books, blogging, photography - lol!

Rachel said...

Wow, that is so true!

Hey and don't forget music. You were choir director for forever, weren't you? I swear, for some reason I remember you were either a choir director or in band or SOMETHING.

I am really trying to get decent at taking a picture or two. Michael and McKay are impossible to take out for photos. I was near tears early in this year, because I have so few pictures of my boys as they really look, especially looking at the camera. (McKay's kindergarten pictures were kinda funny. I got three sets sent home. Two of him walking out of the picture and one of him sitting there looking uncomfortable--I took the last one. It was kind of funny, except that I was relying on those silly school pictures to get a good shot of McKay!)

But somewhere along the line, I really have found photography is a really fun mental excercise. Now I just wish I one could "learn" how to see creatively! I have tons of respect for you and how amazingly awesome your pictures are. You can tell you have been an avid student of photography for many many years as your pictures are gorgeous.

(And to anyone who doesn't know Mary, check out her blog. It is linked on the side at Taylored View Photography. You'll be glad you did.)

Fancypants said...

Sticky Sweet Pictures! Our secondary religion is definitely the church of the sunday nap.

Teri Le said...

That picture of Hannah and Darwin is just PRICELESS! I love it