Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Story in Two Parts

Part One

We have a wood burning fireplace. (Did ya know they still make those? Ha. It seems like they're all gas anymore.) For the most part we like it. It'd be great in an emergency.

We don't use it a lot, but when we do, we vacuum it right out, usually, because those ashes are so dirty. But it is quite fun to roast marshmallows in the fireplace and all. In fact, we did a little fire a week or so ago, and Michael roasted a few marshmallows.

But I do think I might have forgotten something after that little fire. Hmmm.


Part Two

I was busy most of this morning and into the early afternoon. Garrett and Ella (and for the last bit, Hannah) were good sports about this. They had a lot of fun at Grandma's house for the first part. And I don't know why, but for some reason, Target is always more enjoyable to shop in than Walmart. I dunno. Am I crazy?

So we got home and Garrett and Ella were playing together SO nicely! It was really really funny. Ella was chasing Garrett, Garrett was tickling Ella, Ella was grabbing his binky (which he only uses about an hour a day now! Yay!), and Garrett was talking to her. Ella even was working on talking back. Her blend sound de jour was "Th! Th! Th!" Funny! They ended up playing with the baby gym in the corner of the room.

Then, being a slacker, I sort of got distracted. I came back about 2 minutes later and Garrett came up to me SO excitedly. He was exclaiming, "A map! A treasure map!" Indeed, it DID look like a treasure map. But it was really a bit of charred paper. Hmm, charred paper? Two kids playing by the fireplace? Uh oh.

Yep.




They took a moment to play in the ashes. I stripped half of Ella's clothes on the way to the tub, and then came to my senses and snapped a picture for posterity. (Garrett wisely kept his distance from the camera.) Oh and notice the remnants of Garrett and Ella's playing? I told you, they are SO funny.

So slacker mom turns over a new leaf. She has 1) cleaned out the ashes and 2) vowed to keep a better eye on the littles.

P.S. Hee hee, she is NOW CinderElla.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh no!! HAHAHA - that is too funny. Now if I would have had to clean up the mess i'm not sure how funny it'd be, but hey I didn't ;)I'm glad you snapped the pictures-the totally make the story!

Ahnah said...

Oh thats just too darn cute. Was Garrett just as dirty? She is the perfect CinderElla!!

Rachel said...

It was really mostly Garrett's hands. He was looking for treasure maps! She was more interested in eating them.

Tandy said...

I, for one, am relieved to find out that I am not the only mom that finds their kids in the middle of some major messes when I turn my back for 2 minutes. It's a conspiracy!!!

Cute pics. :)

Kim said...

She's a cute little CinderELLA It reminds me of when Hannah painted Garrett. You really should post that picture. It's a classic.

Rachel said...

I SHOULD!

Let me find it!

Teri Le said...

LOL - yes, we MUST have pictures for posterity. That picture will win a contest somewhere - especially with the tiara!

Fancypants said...

You are so patient! I would have had her scrubbing floors, folding laundry and NO ball for her!!! (just kidding...don't call child protective services on me)

Cynthia said...

How funny. The picture of Ella looks like she is trying to have a pirate's beard to go with Garrett's treasure map.

Alison said...

That is too funny! Are you sure you didn't do that yourself just so you could have CinderElla pictures?

Susie said...

Oh GOSH that is both funny and too cute! :)

Linda said...

Very cute & clever! The face reminds me when her father, just a tad older had a similar look, only from the dirt in the garden; and since he only had shorts on, there was a lot more covered. and as I recall the older kids had added some "head gear"--but I may be confusing 2 different pictures. Grandma R:)